Without a style, your lesson looks similar in a web browser to the way it looks in LessonBuilder. There is no header or footer. There are no sidebars; there are just navigation links (previous page | next page) at the bottom of a page.
When you attach a style to your lesson, your lesson automatically acquires a professional appearance with a header (also referred to as a banner), footer, navigation bar, and options for navigation / sidebars.
Attach a Style:
- Choose Properties/Style Properties.
- From the styles tab, Use the style preview and then choose the style you want.
- Click OK.
Import a Style created on someone else's computer:
- Download the .zip file of your SoftChalk template to your computer
- Open SoftChalk
- Go to Tools > StyleBuilder
- Click on 'Import' and select the downloaded zip file. This will install the template.
- To apply the template to your softchalk, go to Properties > Style Properties
- and select the template
Set options and properties for your style:
- Pull down on Properties, then choose Style Properties.
- Click the Title & Layout Tab.
- Configure your page, giving the Title and choosing the options for the Footer, Sidebar, Navigation, Content and Printing.
Options and the Layout tab:
- Lesson Title: The Lesson Title and Subtitle appear in the header in a web browser.
- Footer: Right-click within the Footer Text area and notice that you can add a Hyperlink or special characters. Like the header, the footer will appear when viewing the lesson in a web browser.
- Sidebar Layout: You can have several sidebars for your lesson. "On This Page" sidebar - When selected, a sidebar appears in the web browser with links to the headings (Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3) on the page. You can create other sidebars by choosing Properties/Sidebars.
- Table of Contents: You can choose whether or not you want the table of contents and its form. The entry page will give a whole page, with a table of contents, containing hyperlinks to the headings and bookmarks. And the other options will give you a table of contents, on the page either as a rollover menu in a sidebar or as a drop down menu at the top of the page, whichever you choose.
- Navigation: Arrows let you navigate through the pages with a previous page and next page button. Page numbers, insert numbers on the top menu and you choose which page you would like to go to. "On This Page" sidebar, gives you a sidebar with links to the heading and bookmarks of the current page.